Sustainability and Environmental Policy
Our sustainability and environmental responsibilities
This page was last updated March 2021
At Mylor Sailing School we are passionate about the environment and passing this knowledge on to others.
Sustainability and the environment are very important to us. Mylor Sailing School is committed to minimising the impact of its activities on the environment. This Policy Statement sets out how we will work towards achieving our environmental objectives (for a more in brief description and other marine information please visit this page Link to our Marine and Environment page
• We will meet the environment legislation that relates to the operation of the training school and where possible identify opportunities to adopt best practice over and above the minimum legislative requirements.
• We will ensure that safety boats are fueled safely and responsibly to avoid spillages and pollution. There is a spill kit located at the fuel locker on the pontoon. Powerboat drivers will be trained in refueling good practice and the use of spill kits.
• We will minimise the use of electricity in all of our activities. For example; turning of lights, all light bulbs are energy efficient models and only to be replaced with the same.
• We will minimise the use of water in all of our activities. For example; turning off taps as soon as possible etc.
• We will minimise the creation of waste. For example; we will only print and photocopy if absolutely essential and then print double-sided.
• Where possible, we will use email rather than printed materials to communicate and promote our activities.
• We will recycle as much waste as possible by providing adequate clearly labelled bins and increasing our waste and recycling bin collections during busy times.
• Mylor Yacht Harbour provides suitable containers for the disposal of hazardous waste streams in the recycling area of the harbour near the office.
• Any preparations and applications for antifouling will be in a designated area. All scrapings to be collected and disposed of as hazardous waste.
• We will endeavour to take a sustainable approach to running events.
• We will promote relevant local environmental information to our water-users such as the location of voluntary no anchor zones, sensitive habitats/species.
• We will publicise our environmental commitment and promote sustainability amongst our water-users.
• We will take the environmental credentials of our suppliers into account when procuring new products. By doing so we wish to encourage other organisations to integrate sustainabilitiy into their operations.
• We will measure our progress and review this policy on an annual basis.
• We will not use chemicals to remove weed and algae from slip ways, steps and pontoon areas, but will use a stiff brush or high pressure hose to blast it off.
• We will use environmentally friendly cleaning products wherever possible on vessels.